One of the great things about Paris is that no matter how many times you visit and even after living in the city for years, there's always something new to learn about the city. So let's see how well you know Paris. Every week, we feature a new Paris Quiz with historical and cultural elements to test your knowledge of the French capital.
1. True or false? The thief who stole the Mona Lisa in 1911 said he did it as an act of patriotism.
2.True or false? Paris is 1/2 the size of London.
3.True or false? The Paris river called the Seine should really be called the Yonne.
4.True or false? The guillotine was named in honor of its inventor, Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin.
5.True or false? The Eiffel Tower is the most visited monument in Paris.
6. True or false? In 1984, a crocodile from the Nile River was found in the sewers ("les égouts") of Paris.
7.True or false? French police are called "les poulets" because the Paris police station was once built on the site of a chicken market.
2. False. Paris (105.4 km²) is less than 1/10 the size of London (1,572 km²).
4. False. Dr. Antoine Louis invented the guillotine.
5. False. Notre Dame is the most visited monument.